Saturday, July 30, 2011

Wedding Week (or losing the dress battle)

The weather is still hot, mid to upper 90's.  The sun is bright, bright, bright and extremely hot. The humidity is in the upper 70's, which means you're wet 5 minutes after walking out the door and the heat index, what it feels like on your body, is between 103-107 on a good day. No change in sight for the week ahead. Me, ScrappyKnitter, the Mother of the Bride, is having NO luck finding anything to wear for the big day. Everyone's tired of hearing me complain about my "new size" of huge, hatred for this heat inside my body and outside my body, my gray hair and did I mention the heat?  Guests will start arriving on Wednesday and I can't even begin to think about what the heck needs to be done. Thank God for the husband. Without him it wouldn't be possible to have all this ready by next Saturday.

The bride and groom are getting excited. The Mother and Father of the Bride are getting excited.  We're just all so tired. More from thinking than doing. Not much to do for an outdoor wedding until the few days before. Our oldest daughter will be the photographer so I'll have lots of photo's to post when I recuperate from the big day.  Seems weddings are much different now than they were 36 years ago when i got married.  No wedding cake, she wants cupcakes done in a tower on the table. No veil, but she's got such a beautiful head of the most perfect curls she really doesn't need one. Bare feet (not me, I've been bitten enough by fire ants to last me a lifetime). Informal, very informal. I get it cause it's just like her, the way she's always been. She doesn't want to be like everyone else, she wants to be what she is. Plain, simple and beautiful. So, our yard will be all done up in colorful lanterns, lots of sunflowers, close friends, close relatives, and nieces and nephew and I pray it all goes the way the Bride and Groom want it and just one small prayer that the Mother of the Bride makes it through the week. The Father of the Bride too, who is in charge of the lawn, the weeds, the dog piles and keeping us all sane. In this heat. This unbearable, stifling, heat.

Ok, I feel better after my rant. Must go put on the smallest amount of clothes that are legal and see about washing some outdoor deck furniture, the deck and putting all my plants/cactus somewhere.  If you're down near Savannah, GA next Saturday, stop in, we'll give you a hotdog or a hamburg. Oh, did I mention that........she wants a cookout after the wedding with hamburgs, hotdogs, all the fixin's, a fire in the fire pit to roast marshmellows and the wedding's at 7 p.m.  You'll find me leaning up against one of the pecan trees in my back yard with my eyes closed. 
Itty bitty bags. Sometimes you just have to do something to keep your fingers nimble till you can knit again. This is a free pattern on Ravelry and we put 1/2 of a dryer sheet in each and hung them from our rear view mirrors in our cars. Mine is pink (of course) and the Brides is green. Quick and lots of fun.

Happy Knitting!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Deep breaths. We'll have lots of hands to help. =) And I'm sure the wedding will turn out quite beautifully. Love you, Mommy.

The Bride

stringplay said...

Heat+Humidity is just too much. The mental part of anything is always more taxing than the physical, it seems. I will be thinking of you all. I know it will be beautiful and special.

"Young bride, a prayer for thee,
That all thy hopes possessing,
Thy soul shall praise her God, and He
Will crown thee with his blessing"
Martin Farquhar Tupper