Wednesday, May 16, 2007

A Heart Report

Went to my Cardiologists this morning with BTB and I had a good report and a not so good report. First off, he was amazed that I have managed to quit smoking, lose almost 20 pounds (it is 20, but then the next day the dang scale adds a pound or 2) and stick to this low fat eating thing for 6 months. I've also lowered my LDL (bad cholesterol) 100 points, my HDL (good cholesterol)7 points and the exercising at Cardiac Rehab is working. YIPPY!!!!
The bad news? My LDL still isn't low enough and my HDL isn't high enough (or big enough, seems I have very tiny HDL thingy's) AND - this is the real kicker! He wants me to lose ANOTHER 20 pounds!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So, I have to up the exercise (I just don't know what else to do, I'm not the athletic type), he doubled my cholesterol lowering medicine (Lipitor) and I have to take some prescription Omega 3 capsules 3 times a day. BUT - I'm still living so I'm happy.
If any of you have any ideas on how to exercise more, please share. The Baby Girl and I are going to try playing tennis and I just bought a new racket but the Dr. says I have to run after that ball, I can't just lob it over the net. I've never played tennis and just stood in one spot before - what's up with him? His game of choice must be golf, ya think?
So that's my news. I'm sticking to it cause I'm too young to have to worry about dying of a heart attack and he says he wants me around to see him in a nursing home, so I'm going to!
There's no pictures in this computer (it's the one that the hard drive crashed awhile ago) so no pictures tonight and really, I haven't been doing any knitting either. I've been crocheting!

8 comments:

Susan said...

Are you still going to rehab? Maybe they could give you some ideas. I would think that whatever you do, you'll have to build up to it. Seems like playing tennis in hot weather wouldn't be the greatest fun. What about a bike? Geez. It's a shame that your great results over the last months have to be a bit overshadowed.

Susan said...

Oh and I forgot. What are you crocheting???

Anonymous said...

Yes, I also want to know what you're crocheting!

Good job on your progress! Do you already swim as part of your exercise routine? Swimming is great exercise and it's not as hard on your joints as some other exercise.

Also, Sheepish Annie (http://sheepishannie.blogspot.com) lost a lot of weight by biking with a special bike. It's just the pedals and she pulls it up to her couch so she can sit and knit while she's peddling away. I've seen the bikes on eBay, but haven't purchased one yet. I think they're listed as pedal exercisers.

Sheri said...

Susan, yes, still in rehab and will ask her about it Friday. He was very happy with my progress but you're right, kind of a bummer when he added "lose another 20 pounds." That's A LOT! Crocheting pictures today if all goes according to plan.

Beth, do you know what the bike thing is called? I'll have to look into that! anything I can do WHILE knitting is a bonus. LOL We have a pool in the backyard but it's not quite warm enough for me to get into yet, but yes, I love swimming.

Anonymous said...

Dancing! I lost 60 lbs doing country line dancing. Of course, I went 4 nights a week, and the other nights I did my Buns of Steel video. :) But that was a long time ago.

If you go to Amazon and do a search for "pedal exerciser" you'll get a selection of the pedal-only bikes. I have one under my desk at work. I also have a recumbent bicycle at home that allows me to sit back and read while I pedal.

Ann said...

Strap on a pedometer and try to do 10,000 steps a day. Build up slowly by parking further away at the store...

Small steps....

:o)

Maureen said...

Congrats on the quitting smoking and the 20 pounds!!! I am sure you will get some more weight off. Your doing great.

Life's a Stitch said...

My huasband had a heart attack last year and I bought him a treadmill for his birthday. Nothing fancy. And guess what? He doesn't use it, but I do. I find it a very relaxing form of exercise, 20 minutes a day, three days a week.I hear Craig's List is the best place to find these these gently used items.

Good luck. You are doing a wonderful thing for your family. My dad died of heart disease at 47. Not the best of memories to carry through life,
Li