Thursday, April 13, 2006

My Weekend of Knitting

I never thought it would be a week before I posted again. I've thought of so many things to blog about since last time, but jeesh, time just gets away from me.

The Baby Girl and her Daddy had a great time on their trip to Disney World, although Dad wore the wrong shoes and came home with really sore feet. The Baby Girl marched in the parking lot of her school 2 days before she left and got blisters on her feet because she didn't bother wearing shoes. She came home with some sad looking feet after walking around Disney for 4 days, and marching down Main Street. So, like father like daughter, they had a blast, but had really sore feet. I'm glad they're home, I missed them. BTB doesn't travel much without me since we moved to the south and when he does I'm never sure what to do with myself. No-one to talk to is the worst part, I guess.

Okay, here's the results of my weekend of knitting;

These are the Embossed Leaves Socks. I showed the first one a week or so ago. I'm amazed, it only takes me about a week to make one sock. Oh, and this is only my second pair. They came out great but I was sure glad to finish them. I was going crossed eyed with the chart and the pattern. Sure glad I followed the rule and cast on for the second as soon as the first one was finished. I get tired of the same old pattern after sock #1.
pattern: Embossed Leaves Sock
yarn: Koigu, not sure of the color
Needles: size 2 Susan Bates Quicksilver

This is a pattern I just made up to use some yarn I've had forever. Not sure what the variegated yarn is called but it was lace weight and I would assume had some mohair in it because it was fuzzy. I also used Knit Picks lace weight yarn in lavender along with it. It's really soft, light and airy and very long. I made it for my friend Dawn, who loves scarves. She'll have to save this one for next fall/winter cause it's too dang hot around here to wear it now.


It's just a drop stitch pattern done on size 7 needles. It was fast and a good conversational knit.

(I really have to do better at saving the ball bands so I can write more info. If I saved every ball band from yarn I've used I would probably have to have BTB build me another closet, just for them.)


This is a smaller version of a shawl I fell in love with in Folk Shawls. I had 2 skeins of Mountain Colors (sock weight) and followed the pattern until I ran out of yarn. It's really soft and I think I'll use it alot over my shoulders during the colder weather. I've been working on this forever. It was my "car" knitting while waiting for the Baby Girl during marching band season. When she started driving herself a few months ago I figured I'd better take it out of the car or it would never get done. I finished this during my knitting weekend too.


Here's a close up of the stitch pattern. Very easy but beautiful with this yarn. I actually used 2 different colors but interchanged them every few rows so it's not really noticable at all.

I also finished my vest but haven't even blocked it yet so I'll show that on my next post. I'm glad to be done with it - it was mostly all stockinette stitch except the design down the right front.

So, now I have to decide what to do next. I've started another pair of socks but that's just for when I don't feel like thinking, and I started a bag for my oldest daughter with some Fantasy Naturale. It's 100% cotton and done on size 11 needles so I don't work on that for more than a few rows at a time. Not sure what I want to do next, but with the temperatures going into the 90's this weekend, sweaters aren't looking to promising!

I want to thank everyone for their comments. It sure makes a blogger's day when they find out someone actually reads their blog! I wanted to thank you each in an e-mail but have to figure that part out yet. But, thanks for reading!

Happy Knitting.

Added later: I've done SO well with my yarn challenge! Haven't bought a single strand of yarn since starting. It's a good thing needles and bags, etc. aren't part of it or I'd have failed. I hate wasting the 40% off coupons from Jo-ann's and needed some new sock needles. Also bought a small bag to hold all my knitting paraphenalia. But, no yarn!

3 comments:

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

All your knitting looks so great and pretty! Good job!

Mary Ann said...

Beautiful FOs.

Anonymous said...

Great job on the YFC, the finished projects look beautiful.